Saturday, July 4, 2009

Super Mom Seeks Advice: How Do I Get a One Year Old to Sleep Through the Night?

I decided to create a Facebook profile to see how much advice I can get from other moms. I think what I am going to do is post daily or weekly questions, and write about the answers that I receive. Today's question is: "How do I get a one year old to sleep through the night?" Since I have 0 friends on Facebook right now, I am awaiting my first friend acceptance and hoping that someone will come through with some good advice, because this child of mine does not sleep. And since my workday begins at the office at 7am, MOMMA NEEDS HER SLEEP! Let us cross our fingers! PS: The baby is sleeping right now on MY pillows on the bed. Ugh. If I move her she will wake up and cry. I want her to be happy, and I want some sleep. I ahve heard the "cry it out method" is great, and other sources say it is cruel. What do I do? What do YOU do? Let's hope some advice comes through!

2 comments:

  1. I am a mother to 3 boys, 12, 9 and almost 2. I have had a lot of sucess putting the children to bed at night by following a routine. Children feel secure with a schedule and lots of love and caring. Starting off with a warm lavender bath, lots of love, and I would swaddle them for a while once they are out of the tub. Once they are dressed and ready for bed, we all say goodnight, give kisses and go to the crib with the special blanket and some soft music. Children respond well when they know they are safe and the lavender bath really helps calm the child from the excitement of splashing around in the tub. I cannot do the cry method, I think it is mean and rude to the child. I remember screaming in my room when I was 4 because thats what my mom did, and now at 37, I still remember those scary nights. Children have feelings too, and for those who are all for the cry method, just remember, they might not like you in years to come because you chose to spend your free time in the other room instead of making sure you baby feels secure and safe. Having children is a sacrifice, you must put them first, and if you feel you need your own time, don't do it at their bedtime. It is a selfish act and you should reconsider your reason for having a child in the first place. Sacrifice now for the child, and the rewards later in life with be priceless. Remember, these times are all just temporary. Take it from someone who has done it for a while now, and by the way, my husband has been working in Las Vegas since nov, 2008, the children and I live in Florida, and all of my family live in New England. I do this all by myself. You can do it, just remember children are a lifelong commitment. If you are there for them now, they will be there for you later on in life. You will need them someday, as invincible as you may seem to think you are. Good luck and God bless all you tired moms out there. NLD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your advice! I have heard a lot about routines, and most of the moms who are able to hold down a routine tell me it works wonders. My problem, is, with all of the things that are going on, I cannot establish a daily routine. I HAVE to work, not because I want to, but because if I don't there won't be anything to eat. I would do anything to be a stay at home mom. If you have 3 boys, you must know what you are doing! I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete