Sunday, July 5, 2009

Exhausted Mom: Tips For Finding Energy

Today is awfully busy for a Sunday. Then again, Sunday's are mostly busy for any mom. There's the cooking, and the cleaning, and the laundry, etc., etc., but there is also time that has to be found for your baby, husband, pets, and family; if there is any time left, you can bet it will be interrupted by something that I forgot to list. I have to admit, I lost it today. Here's what happened:

I was downstairs in the kitchen, scrambling to make the baby's lunch. I only feed her all organic, nutritious foods, so everything must be prepared in advance. So I was makign her food, like a zombie, trying to keep her happy in her highchair with a teething biscuit so she wouldn't scream and blow my head clean off, and my grandmother goes, "Are you cooking salmon for dinner?" A little bit of background: my grandmother is more like my mother, and is not the typical grandmother. She is the typical, pushy, overbearing mother, and she's pretty young too, so it's not like she is old and frail or anything. So I tell her, "I don't know," and I continue to make my daughter's meal. My grandmother persists (please note, the woman does not even eat salmon). She tells my grandfather and my husband that there is no food in the house because I left our marzeti at the potluck, and that I was cooking salmon for dinner, and she looked at me and said, "right." Me: "Ok, later." And my grandfather says, "What time." It is at this point that I finally said, "I do not feel like cooking salmon today," and had to walk out. I went off and said I was over everyone and was tired of waiting on everyone. Then I went off my husband, because he came downstairs empty-handed after I asked him to either bring the trash or the dishes from downstairs. Here I was, running around, and everyone else was sitting, watching TV. All I could think of was the list of things I needed to do... blah, blah, blah... I won't bore you with the details of my day, but at one point, my body just gave up. I hit the wall, as they say, and am now completely exhausted.

So I did some research on some of the top ways that a busy mom can find energy when it seems impossible to find.

Top 10 Energy Ideas for Mom

1. Redbull and/or coffee: A great, short term solution to give you a 30 minute boost when needed. Please note, you WILL crash afterwords and be even more tired than before. This is only for emergency purposes.

2. Stretching: This helps, and only takes 5 minutes. You can sneak it in while the kids are busy, or while you pretend to be going to the bathroom longer than usual. (The bathroom is a great "break" room).

3. Stay healthy: This is absolutely key. No matter how busy you are, remember that EXERCISE IS CUMULATIVE. I don't have 45 minutes to go to the gym, so I practice lifting the baby, or do lunges while walking through a room. Every single little bit helps.

4. Eat clean: When you put toxic food in your body, your energy plummets. As a busy, mom, I know that its sometimes impossible. I'm no doctor, but I abide by: if you don't understand the label, don't eat it, and if you are hungry but there is nothing healthy, it is better to not eat. This is probably bad medical advice, but I lost weight that way, and feel a bit better than before. I keep bananas, chicken sausage, and small, healthy portions easily accessable, and cut the carbs. Oh, NO white breads, starches, or sugars. Those will really stick to your insides and clog up your systems.

5. Sleep: Yes, I put this because it is medically important, but as a busy mom my personal response is "Ha Ha, yeah right."

6. Green and White tea: It is something healthy and yummy to sip for 5 minutes of relaxation, after the babies are asleep. Make sure it is caffeine free. I sweeten mine with organic stevia, and like the Yogi Organic tea brand.

7. Take a brisk walk with the stroller daily. If you can,, get a multiple baby stroller for multiple kids. They make them for up to 8 kids in 1 stroller: google it.

8. Sleep when the baby sleeps. I have even gotten in the playpen with the baby, just to take a nap. I know that if she wakes up, she will just play around me, and she is safe. I don't recommend this for babys in the SIDS age range, but when the baby's big enough, try it.

9. Try the Book: The Happiest Baby on the Block. My doctor recommended it to me. It is a lifesaver. When I brought my newborn home, I actually got a 4 hour long sleep one night, which was miraculous.

10. Talk with other moms. Sometimes, unloading the burdeon and sharing with other moms will provide you with an energy release that is unmatched. Prayer groups, etc.

Please post a comment: What do you to to find energy when you're drained?

No comments:

Post a Comment